Mold in the Home
Aside from mold being unsightly, it can also be a trigger and cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems in some individuals. The key to controlling mold growth in and around your home is to control moisture. Keep things dry.
Tips for Controlling Moisture
- Is there a leak? Fix the leak! Are you a renter? Report the leak to the property management/maintenance department right away!
- How is you indoor humidity? Ideal humidity: 30%-50%. Basements especially can be prone to high humidity. Try using dehumidifiers and air conditioners to keep areas dry. Remember to use ventilation fans (or crack the bathroom window if able) in the bathrooms during and following showers. Fun Fact! Humidity can be measured using an instrument called HYGROMETER and can typically be found in your local hardware store.
- Dry areas or furnishings that have become wet within 24-48 hours.
- Add mold inhibitors to paints before painting. Inquire at your local hardware/paint store.
There is no test for mold!
If you see it, or there's a musty smell in your home, you can assume there's mold somewhere. The Mansfield Health Department cannot test for mold and the CDC does not recommend testing. With that being said, there are also no "mold standards" set forth by any State or Federal entities (whether it be for airborne concentration(s) and/or mold spores), so even after sampling, you would not be able to conclude from the results or compare the results to "safe levels".