Food Establishments-Temporary Events and Farmer's Markets

Food Establishments are regulated by the State Sanitary Code 105 CMR 590.000 Minimum Sanitation Standards for Food Establishments and the FDA Federal Food Code 2013 along with the Mansfield Board of Health Food Protection Regulations.  An annotated merged food code can be found here.

Food vendors at events like farmers markets, carnivals, fairs and fundraisers may be required to get a local Temporary Food Establishment permit from the board of health where the event is held, and comply with certain requirements in 105 CMR 590 (the Retail Food Code). 

The MA Department of Public Health has several resources available explaining the state requirements around Residential Kitchens. 

There are several town bylaws which apply to Food Establishments: 

Plastic Waste Reduction:  No retail establishment in the Town of Mansfield shall provide thin-film, single-use plastic check-out bags to customers. The entire bylaw can be found online at

Polystyrene Container Reduction: Food establishments are prohibited from dispensing prepared food and drink in disposable food service containers made from expanded polystyrene. All food establishments are strongly encouraged to use reusable food service containers and cutlery, and when possible biodegradable, compostable alternatives. Compostable materials must meet ASTM (American Society of the International Association for Testing and Materials) Standards for compostability. The entire bylaw can be found online at 

Plastic Straw/Stirrer Reduction: Plastic beverage straws and plastic stirrers shall not be used or dispensed or sold except upon request in conjunction with the serving by business establishments or at any town-sponsored event of liquid, slurry, frozen, semi-frozen, or other forms of beverages to the public for consumption.  The entire bylaw can be found online at 

Permit Applications

All Health Department Permits are processed through an online platform located here:

All permit applications must be submitted via this platform. Paper applications are no longer accepted. New users must register first by using the link on the website above or by going directly to:

For Temporary Events, please complete the TEMPORARY FOOD permit. This includes food trucks.

If you don't have regular access to a computer, an online permit station has been established in Town Hall on the first floor.

A guide to Permit Eyes for the Health Department is available here: Mansfield Health Department Online Permitting Guide

If you have any technical questions or issues, you can contact

For non-technical questions, you can contact