Public Works - Trash and Recycling
Regular Trash/Recycling Collection
Please have your carts out before 7am on the day of your collection.
Please do not put any yard waste in your trash or recycle carts. Yard waste must go to the Mansfield Green Recycle Park.
Please do not put any plastic bags in your recycle carts. If you have any questions on items that can and cannot be recycled, please follow this link www.recyclesmartma.org
Mansfield contracts with Waste Management to provide residents (4 units or under) with weekly curbside trash pickup. Each household receives a single 64-gallon cart. Read more...
Waste Wizard – How to Dispose of an Item?
The Town of Mansfield is excited to make available to its residents a powerful new tool that directs users on how to dispose of almost any item.
Please visit our widget here - Waste Wizard
Recycling smart is our goal. Please visit our Single-Stream Recycling page in order to review our guidelines and recycle correctly.
Mattress & Box Spring Recycling
Beginning November 1, 2022 MassDEP is expanding their waste disposal ban to include mattresses and box springs. Landfills and transfer stations across the Commonwealth will no longer accept mattresses and/or box springs for disposal. Mattresses and/or box springs must be recycled or donated for reuse.
As of October 14, 2022, Mansfield residents can directly contact HandUp, a private company, to make an appointment for curbside pickup of a mattress and/or box spring by going directly to the HandUp webpage https://www.handupmattress.com/curbside-pickup or by calling 774-271-8744. HandUp offers curbside pickup once a month. The charge is $50 per unit. For example, one mattress would cost $50. A mattress and box spring would cost $100. The Town has no contractual or other relationship with HandUp or any other company, and neither endorses or warrants the services provided by any such company. This contact information is provided as a courtesy to our residents.
NEW - IT'S EASY TO SCHEDULE AND BUY BULKY/WHITE GOOD STICKERS ONLINE!
Starting January 1, 2024 Mansfield Residents that currently have curbside trash and recycling collection can now schedule bulky and white goods items for curbside pick up directly through Waste Management at wm.com or if you do not have a computer, you can call 1-800-972-4545 to schedule and pay for your item(s).
To Schedule Online:
- Visit wm.com
- Click "For Home" tab
- Select "Bulk Trash Pick Up"
- Enter your contact information
- Select type of item being collected
- Dates available will be highlighted and you can choose the date of your pick up
- Pay the $ fee
- Submit your request
- A confirmation email will be sent to you with: the pick-up date, item, order # and amount paid
Curbside residents no longer need to come to town hall to purchase stickers and place on items. Pick ups will be tracked by your confirmation email.
If you have any questions, please call the DPW Office at 508-261-7335.
Other Alternatives for Disposal
While Mansfield does offer curbside pickup of many items, you may first want to consider these options:
- Bring Non-Freon White Goods to the Mansfield Green Recycling Park for free (stoves, clothes washers, dryers, etc.). Freon White Goods (air conditioners, refrigerators, etc.) can be dropped off at the Mansfield Green Recycle Park for $20. Bulky Items are not accepted at the Recycle Park. The Mansfield Green Recycling Park is located at 499 East Street. The Mansfield Green Recycling Park is open the following hours:
Saturday 8:00AM - 3:45PM
Sunday 8:00AM - 3:45PM
Monday 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Tuesday through Friday - Closed
You will need a current Mansfield Green resident sticker on your car to gain entry. Stickers for your car can only be purchased at Mansfield Town Hall, Town Clerk's Office. Stickers for Freon white good items brought to the recycle park can be purchased at Town Hall, Treasurer's Office or at the Mansfield Green Recycling Park (personal checks only). Learn more about the Mansfield Green Recycling Park.
- Donate Your Bulky Items and White Goods to Charity: Some nonprofit organizations will accept donations of white goods (appliances) and bulky items (furniture) in good condition.
- Donate Through Freecycle: The Freecycle Network is a grassroots nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns and neighborhoods. Their mission is to build a worldwide sharing movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources, and eases the burden on landfills.
If you have additional questions, call the Mansfield Public Works Department at 508-261-7335.
Household Hazardous Waste
In our community, the disposal of these special items is overseen by the Public Health Department. Please read our guidelines.
Simple Recycling - Curbside Textile Recycling
Residents no longer have to wait for their scheduled recycle day to put their unwanted clothing and household goods out for pickup.
Pickups must be scheduled online at www.SimpleRecycling.com or call 866-835-5068. A reminder email will be sent the day before the scheduled pickup.
Residents no longer need to use the dedicated pink Simple Recycling bags for collection. However, the bags have been shared among the communities for residents to use until gone, if preferred. Items can be placed in any waterproof bag(s) or box(es), clearly marked Simple Recycling.
With pickup no longer tied to a resident’s trash/recycling day, the placement of items for pickup has changed as well. Clearly marked waterproof bag(s) or box(es) can be placed on the front porch or in front of the garage door by 7:30 a.m. on the scheduled pickup day.
Residents can set out items such as clothing, shoes, accessories, and other household discards such as kitchenware, tools, toys, and books or other small household goods in working condition.
For information on curbside recycling, visit the Simple Recycling website for more information.
In addition to the items listed on website, Simple Recycling will also pick up small electronics in working order that weigh less than 50 pounds. (printers, toasters, etc.)
- Black Earth Compost is starting collection in Mansfield on July 8th, 2019
The Bin - The curbside compost bin is 13 gallons and comes with a locking lid and wheels for $24.00. For an additional $10.00 you can upgrade to a starter kit which includes two sizes of compostable bags; one roll of liners for the curbside bin and one roll for kitchen counter-top containers. We require your bin be lined either with a double lined brown paper bag or a certified compostable bin liner. Bin liners can be purchased through your customer login and they will be delivered on your next scheduled pickup.
Density Discount - When 200 Mansfield households are signed up or preregistered, the price will be lowered 30% to $69.99 for 6 months (only $2.31/week) or $12.99 per month for all participants. If you are interested in starting at either price point, please sign up below. If you select preregister during sign up you will be notified via email to enroll in service when participation reaches 300.
- To Register https://blackearthcompost.com Please contact Black Earth Compost with questions: Justin@blackearthcompost.com
- Alternatively composting bins are available through the Town of Mansfield. Purchase a New Age composting bin at the DPW office for $18.00 and pick it up at the Mansfield Green
- How to put together New Age Compost Bins Video Instructions
- Donating Clothing and Other Household Goods to Charity - Donation Town