All meetings are in person and members of the public are welcome to attend in person or virtually. Please refer to meeting notice for details.
- 5:30 p.m.
- First and Third Wednesday of each month
- Mansfield Town Hall
6 Park Row
Third Floor Meeting Room 3A/B
Mansfield, MA 02048
Deadline for weekly meeting correspondence is the Friday before each meeting. Email sent to all Select Board Members via Contact us form will be manually forwarded to each Select Board Member’s account by the liaison.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Neil Rhein, Chair
Term Expires: 2024
- Michael A. Trowbridge, Sr, Vice-Chair
Term Expires: 2022
- Frank DelVecchio, Clerk
Term Expires: 2023
- Jess Aptowitz
Term Expires: 2023
- Steve Schoonveld, Select Board Member
Term Expires: 2022
About the Board
The Select Board is proud to support a variety of organizations and non-profits through co-ordination and guidance with special events that contribute to the energy of the Town. There shall be a Select Board consisting of five members elected by the voters of the Town for three-year overlapping terms such that the term of office of at least one member but not more than two expire each year. If on the same ballot there are two or more seats vacant with varying terms of office, the longest terms of office shall accrue the candidates receiving the highest number of votes in succession.
If a vacancy occurs in the membership of the Board, the remaining members shall call a special election to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the unexpired term. However, if a vacancy occurs less than 90 days prior to the annual election and if not less than three Select Board Member remain in office, the vacancy shall remain unfilled until such annual election. In no case shall a special election be held within 30 days prior to the annual election.
The Select Board shall be the chief policy-making body for the municipal government, except the school department. It will be the primary responsibility of the Board to coordinate the long-range objectives of the Town, particularly those of a comprehensive planning program, and to formulate policy for the implementation of programs necessary to fulfill those objectives, and shall report thereon semiannually to the voters.
In addition, the Board shall have the following powers and duties:
- The Board may employ such experts as it deems necessary to fulfill its obligations.
- The Select Board shall be the Board of Directors of corporate Mansfield, and shall appoint a Town Manager as the Town’s Chief Executive and Administrative Officer, and it shall deal through him with town officers and employees subject to his direction or supervision.
- The Board shall be the licensing authority for the Town in accordance with the General Laws.
- The Board shall be the Municipal Electric Commission and, as such, shall be responsible for over-all policy of the Municipal Electric Department, and shall appoint the Municipal Electric Department Manager.
- The Board shall be the Public Works Commission and shall formulate policies that will insure that proper services and public facilities are provided for the citizens.
- The Board shall be responsible for public safety and shall formulate policies in accordance with higher legal authority that will insure protection of the citizens from fire, crime, natural disasters, and other emergencies.
- The Board shall call elections and town meetings.
- The Board shall defend the interests of the citizens at higher levels of government and before quasi-public or quasi-judicial organizations, and shall represent the citizens at official ceremonies. Link to General Laws 41-20 governing Select Board.
- The Board shall determine the salaries and compensation of all town officers and officials appointed by them.
- The Board shall have over-all responsibility for the public funds and shall appoint a town accountant to keep, audit, and approve the accounts; the board shall inspect and approve such accounts regularly.
- The Board shall have the responsibility of maintaining a system of job classifications, descriptions and grades of compensation for all municipal employees, and may appoint a temporary committee consisting of at least three members to establish such a system.
- The Board shall on a bimonthly basis conduct a joint meeting of the Chair of all other boards, commissions and committees to discuss pertinent matters of the town.
- In addition, the Board shall appoint the Board of Assessors, Registrars of Voters, Constables, Town Counsel, Election Officers, Library Trustees and Veteran’s Affairs Officer.
- In order to fulfill its long-range policy-making responsibility the Board shall annually appoint two of its members to serve on the Capital Improvement Program Committee, and if applicable shall make appointments to regional planning organizations. Further, the Board shall appoint the Planning Board, Board of Health, Board of Appeals, Airport Commission, Recreation Commission, Conservation Commission, Municipal Building Committee, Finance Committee, Industrial Development Finance Authority, and Council on Aging.