Curbside Collection Guidelines
Mansfield contracts with Waste Management to provide residents with weekly curbside trash pickup. Each household receives a single 64-gallon cart. A second cart is available for an additional charge of $250 per year (effective July 1st, 2018).
Please follow these guidelines to ensure your proper trash collection:
- All trash must be contained in the cart issued by the contractor to be collected. No material left outside the cart will be collected. Bag all trash to prevent litter
- No construction materials from renovation projects will be collected
- On windy days, trash and litter are sometimes blown away from your cart. If you see litter on your street, please collect and dispose of it properly
- Please separate your recycle cart from your trash by 3 feet so it can be easily identified by the collector
- Recyclable materials are collected every week on your regular collection day. Do not place recyclable materials in your trash bin
- Trash and recycle carts must be placed at the edge of the roadway with wheels facing away from the street. Do not place your cart within 3 feet of any obstruction (trees, mailboxes, etc.)
- Trash and Recycling must be at curbside by 7 a.m. on your designated collection day
Safe Use & Care of Trash Cart
Follow these precautions with your trash and recyclables:
- Always keep the lid closed to keep rain, snow, and animals out
- Do not place any unacceptable materials in the carts such as:
- Hot ashes
- Yard waste
- Remove your cart as soon as possible after collection to maintain appearance of the neighborhood
- To clean, simply rinse with water from time to time and let dry in the sunlight with the lid open
- Use the handle provided to move the cart. Tilt cart on wheels and roll. Remember to pull the cart uphill and push the cart downhill
The cart is made of durable plastic that will provide years of maintenance free use. Should a problem occur (broken wheel, lid, etc.) please contact Waste Management at 800-972-4545 to request a repair.
Holiday Collections & Inclement Weather
If the following holidays fall on a weekday (Monday to Friday), your trash and recycling collection will pushed back one day. If any of these holidays falls on a weekend day, there will no change to the schedule:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If we experience severe inclement weather, please refer to the town’s website or the town’s Facebook and Twitter pages for more information. You can also call the Department of Public Works (DPW) at 508-261-7335.
Bulky Items & White Goods Collection
Bulky items refers to items that cannot fit into your 64-gallon trash cart, such as:
- Box Springs
- Pianos are not considered bulky items. Waste Management will not collect curbside.
White goods include appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, dryers, dishwashers, etc. To dispose of these items, you must either donate them, transport them to the Mansfield Green Recycling Park or a commercial transfer station, or contact the town to schedule curbside pickup.
Get details about disposal of Bulky Items and White Goods.
Recycling of Clothes & Textiles
Simple Recycling is an option for residents with curbside trash collection. Simple Recycling will pick up your pink bags on the day of your trash and recycling collection. For more information or if you need extra pink bags, visit www.simplerecycling.com or call 866-835-5068 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have additional questions, contact the Mansfield Department of Public Works at 508-261-7335 or Waste Management at 800-972-4545.
Food Waste & Composting
Did you know that food waste accounts for approximately 14% of the municipal solid waste in Massachusetts? Rather than throwing food scraps in the trash, consider composting. You can purchase a composter from the Mansfield DPW for $18 and can pick up at the Mansfield Green Recycling Park. Visit the DPW office to pay for your bin at town hall.
Black Earth Composing is another option for residents. Black Earth Composing collects curbside weekly. For more information, please visit www.blackearthcompost.com or call 978-290-4610.